Wednesday 21 September 2011

The misadventures of Burglar Bill

A little while ago our neighbours got broken in to. Whilst the security companies made plans to upgrade the windows and doors, and I argued with contents insurance companies over the best deal, I decided to set up evocam on my mac. That's EVOCAM: http://www.evological.com/evocam.html. It worked as a motion-actived cctv camera, and I set it to upload any photos it took to my web server. Every morning I turn it on and leave for work, checking my ftp once or twice throughout the day for any updates.

Yesterday, I had one. It looked like this:


"Well that's jolly odd," I thought, "There's a fellow in our flat! I say, what can that unscrupulous looking gentleman be doing in there? Perhaps he's the window security man, he is due round soon"

The was instantly followed by another:

"well this IS strange! It almost looks as though he's alarmed to find a camera has snapped his gruesome mug, and is attempting to cover it. Perhaps he's just embarrassed by looking so terrifyingly like a ragamuffin whilst going about his unrequested yet definitely law abiding activities in our flat"

Despite the obviously innocent misunderstandings, Philip jumped into a taxi and hot-footed it in to our flat. Unfortunately we did not arrive to newly fitted security windows, or some kindly yet scruffy man waiting at the flat to explain all- we found this




























































Luckily they couldn't fit our tv through the window, which they'd popped back and out of its hinges. they did however take my imac, 3 laptops (2 broken), 2 cameras, a pair of earrings of little but sentimental value, and an xbox (theday GOW3 was released, the selfish buggers!)- and, as you can see, completely TRASHED the place looking for all this stuff.

Unfortunately my Marci project will be seriously delayed, as all my high res, put-together pages are lost and will need to be rescanned (somehow) so please excuse me if there's a little delay.

3 things to take away from this experience

  • Cats do not make efficient guard-pets (I'm as surprised as you are)

  • Do not quibble about a few quid spent on contents insurance- insurance costing 20 quid more than you'd hope to spend is better than NO insurance (and a massive premium when we go to get it now)

  • If you see the gentleman in the topmost picture, please do slap him round the face with a leather glove and denounce him as a craven...then make a citizen's arrest because HE STOLE MY STUFF

No comments:

Post a Comment